I think it’s safe to say that, for the most part, all little kids hit a time in their life when they become very picky about what they eat. And it may even catch you off guard one day because they used to be such great eaters! I’ll be sharing recipes from time to time that have been given my child’s stamp of approval AND made it past the delicious and nutritious needs for the entire family. Hopefully you and your kids will think they’re great too!
First up is one that my husband found one day. It was probably about 4:00 in the afternoon and we realized that we had no plan for dinner. We opened up the freezer to find not much promising other than some ground beef and peas. Lance started searching for recipes with those two ingredients. He found a recipe called, “Beef, Peas + Onions”… sounded like we had the necessary ingredients… I was skeptical of the delicious factor, but Lance was sure it wouldn’t be that bad, so we gave it a shot. To my surprise, it had pretty good flavor! And, even better, our two year-old ate it up!
GROUND BEEF, PEAS + ONIONS
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 – 2 cups frozen peas
- olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- red chile flakes (we omitted this when we made it)
- freshly grated parmesan or pecorino (optional)
- fresh herbs (mint, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme…they all work)
- Heat olive oil and butter. Add onions, saute until soft.
- Add ground beef that has already been flavored with salt and pepper. Cook until medium rare.
- Add in frozen peas, right at the end and allow them to defrost and heat up, while the meat is on its way to medium-well done. Toss in fresh herbs, red chile flakes. Season to taste.
This is great by itself or it could definitely be served over rice, quinoa or leftover mashed potatoes! Bon appétit!